Sponsored By: Keystone
With Timothy Licitra
10/29/18 – Lighting Episode 49(Full Version) – Timothy Licitra 44:10
Don’t just settle on flipping those lighting textbooks. Be more impactful in the lighting industry by learning and collaborating more with lighting professionals, mentors, influencers, and peers.
This episode of the Get A Grip On Lighting Podcast might give you that push you need to start building your network straight from the Illuminating Engineering Society (IES) Executive Director himself, Timothy Licitra. The IES, which was established in 1906, is the recognized technical and educational lighting authority and has over 8000 members worldwide.
So, is IES the right fit for you?
Find out from Tim himself how IES is stepping up their game to bring more value to it’s members and to the lighting industry in general. They’re looking into improving their systems, adding more membership benefits, and increasing strategic partnerships. One of the key highlights also from the discussion is how eager IES is on making educational lighting tools and other resources easily accessible online.
Aside from these, Michael, Greg, and Tim talk how fast the rate of innovation is in the lighting industry (i.e. IoT-based lighting). Are IES and other organizations keeping up? Let’s find out as we watch this episode!
Connect with Timothy Licitra:
• [02:43] IES current priority: Increasing the value of the Membership Services.
• [03:31] Tim’s career shift from the finance industry to the lighting industry: What was he able to bring new to the lighting industry?
• [07:31] How did Tim change the current state of systems of operations of IES?
• [08:42] IES offers educational resources on lighting for both the IES members and the general public.
• [10:00] Tim gives an overview of the IES’ organizational structure.
• [12:52] IES makes sure that the committees are balanced and has the right presentation – from the pioneers to emerging professionals to new entrants.
• [13:40] Why attend the IES Annual Conference?
• [14:40] How’s the growth of IES membership?
• [15:47] The age demographics of the IES members.
• [17:47] How is IES establishing themselves as the lighting authority.
• [19:08] Greg and Tim emphasize to always advocate and provide high-quality lighting.
• [20:52] How does IES incorporate new discoveries with regards to the sciences of lighting – it’s physics, psychology, sociology, etc.
• [22:08] Michael expounds on how comparable is the fast rate of innovation in the lighting industry to the tech industry.
• [25:40] The Moore’s Law defined.
• [26:30] How would IoT-based lighting control systems affect the lighting businesses?
• [30:20] IES Lighting Handbook will be made accessible online with keyword search functionality.
• [33:55] IES are active supporters of LC.
• [35:30] LightFair International, the world’s largest annual lighting tradeshow and conference, is presented by IES, IALD and IMC. What’s in it for the lighting businesses, educators, and consumers?
• [37:50] Is it an exciting or scary time for the lighting industry? Tim answers the question.
• [40:00] IES 3 to 5-year plan includes increased collaborations, accessible online lighting library, and greater membership reach.
– Illuminating Engineering Society (IES)
– National Association of Innovative Lighting Distributors (NAILD)
– National Council on Qualifications for the Lighting Professions (NCQLP)
– International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD)
– International Market Centers (IMC)
– IES Annual Conference